Image: Tara Fisher
A twist on a classic panzanella, this recipe from The Natural Food Kitchen combines the sweetness of peaches with the salad's crunchy bread and olive oil.
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 peaches, pitted and cut into 3⁄4" wedges
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 15 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, pitted, skinned and chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 1 full-length slice sourdough bread
- 1 small clove garlic, halved
- 1 bunch fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Thai red chili paste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Place the sliced red onion in a bowl with the red wine vinegar and a pinch of sea salt. Toss together and set aside to allow the flavours to infuse.
2 Place a grill pan over high heat. Lightly brush the peach wedges with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, just enough to coat them. Add the peaches to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes, until charred on one side. Flip the wedges over and cook on the other side; transfer to a plate.
3 In a large mixing bowl, gently toss together the chopped tomatoes, avocado chunks and cooked peaches in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and a good pinch of salt; set aside.
4 Toast the sliced sourdough bread until golden brown and crunchy on the outside. Rub one garlic clove half over the toast, then drizzle 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over the toast and leave it to soak in.
5 Finely chop the remaining half garlic clove and add it to the tomato mixture, together with the chopped basil and the vinegar-infused red onion.
6 For the dressing, combine the Thai red chili paste with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small bowl; add to the tomato mixture. Tear the toasted bread into the salad in rough chunks. Gently toss everything together until well mixed. Taste and season with a grinding of black pepper and more sea salt if needed.
7 Pile the panzanella onto a flat serving dish and serve immediately.