Recipe: Saffron shrimp with feta, basil and Israeli couscous
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced fresh red finger chili
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp Maldon sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp saffron threads
- ½ cup each: white wine and water
- 1-½ lbs raw jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 10 campari tomatoes, quartered
- 6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
1 Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2 Soak the couscous in 3 cups of warm water for 10 minutes to soften and remove some of the starch. Drain and reserve.
3 On the stovetop, heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish over medium heat. Add the garlic and chili and sauté gently until fragrant but not brown, about 1 minute.
4 Remove the pan from the heat and add in the lemon zest, salt, pepper, saffron, wine and water. Stir in the shrimp, basil, tomatoes, feta and couscous, tossing to coat.
5 Bake, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until the shrimp are pink and the juices are hot and bubbly, stirring once during cooking.