Recipe: Seafood and saffron tomato fennel soup
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup finely diced fennel
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced celery
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 48-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup white wine, divided
- Large pinch saffron
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2-1⁄2 lbs fresh mussels in the shell
- 1 lb peeled large shrimp
- 1 lb fresh halibut, cut into large pieces
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
1 Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the garlic, fennel, celery and onion and saute for 5 minutes, until the vegetables are softened.
2 Add the tomatoes to the pot along with their juices, 4 cups water, 1/2 cup white wine, saffron, thyme and kosher salt. Simmer gently for about 30 minutes.
3 Meanwhile, in a large skillet, steam mussels in the remaining 1/2 cup wine just until they open. Cool slightly, remove the mussels from the shells and strain the steaming liquid.
4 During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the mussels, steaming liquid, shrimp and halibut to the tomato saffron broth. Stir in zest.
5 Sprinkle with chives and serve with baguette crisps.