Recipe: Shrimp and pea risotto
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon zest
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) arborio rice or other short-grain rice
- ¼ cup (60 mL) dry white wine or sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 ½ cups (625 mL) hot sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 10 oz (300 g) peeled deveined large raw shrimp
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas or frozen shelled edamame
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh mint or parsley
1 In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; fry onion, garlic, lemon zest, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally until softened, about 3 minutes.
2 Add rice, stirring to coat. Add wine; boil until evaporated, about 1 minute.
3 Stir in broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring once, for 10 minutes. Stir vigorously for 15 seconds. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
4 Stir in shrimp and peas; simmer, covered, until shrimp are pink, peas are tender and rice is creamy and slightly firm to the bite, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with mint.
Makes 4 servings. PER SERVING: about 338 cal, 22 g pro, 5 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 49 g carb, 3 g fibre, 108 mg chol, 652 mg sodium. % RDI: 6% calcium, 21% iron, 11% vit A, 10% vit C, 15% folate.
Note: To make this a super easy weeknight meal option, use frozen devenied zipperback shrimp. All you have to do is defrost them under cold water and pop off the shells.
BUY THIS BOOK
Excerpted from Canadian Living: Make It Tonight by The Canadian Living Test Kitchen © 2011 by The Canadian Living Test Kitchen. Excerpted by permission of Transcontinental. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.