Recipe: Shrimp and vegetable fried rice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 3 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup finely diced red pepper
- ½ cup finely diced sweet Chinese sausage (optional)
- 1 lb small raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 cups cold, cooked basmati rice
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 2 small baby bok choy, julienned
- 1 cup finely chopped green onion
1 Heat half the vegetable oil over medium heat in a wok or a large sauté pan. Add the eggs and cook, stirring, until lightly scrambled.
2 Remove the eggs from the pan and keep warm.
3 Turn the heat to high, add the remaining oil and the ginger, red pepper, sausage and shrimp and sauté until shrimp are just pink, about 2 minutes.
4 Add the cold rice along with the rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil, stirring well until thoroughly coated with the sauce. Sauté until hot.
5 Just before serving, stir in the edamame, baby bok choy, green onion and reserved scrambled eggs until heated through.
Serves 4 to 6