Enjoy this recipe during the week or on the weekend.
This recipe is simple enough to serve as a casual weeknight family dinner, but flavourful enough to offer to guests when you’re entertaining on the weekend.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 lb (1 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each: kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- one 19 oz (540 mL) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- two 19 oz (540 mL) cans navy beans, drained, rinsed and slightly mashed
- 2 cups (500 mL) salsa
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken stock
1 Combine all of the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
2 Serve with nacho chips, sour cream, grated cheese, lime wedges and fresh cilantro, if desired.
Party Pointer: This is a great dish to serve for Super Bowl Sunday or Hockey Night in Canada, along with cold beer and crisp nacho chips.
BUY THIS BOOK
Excerpted from Gatherings: Bringing People Together with Food by Jan Scott & Julie Van Rosendaal. Copyright © 2014 Jan Scott & Julie Van Rosendaal. Excerpted by permission of Whitecap Books, Vancouver. All rights reserved.