Recipe: Swordfish burgers with apple tartar sauce
- 6 Portuguese sweet rolls, split
- 2 cups shredded crisp lettuce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup chopped bread-and-butter pickles
- 1/3 cup chopped tart apple
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 11/2 pounds swordfish meat, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1/4 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1/4 cup chopped bread-and-butter pickles
- 1/4 cup minced sweet onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 5 teaspoons McCormick Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium high.
2 To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to blend thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate until assembling the burgers.
3 To make the patties, combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix gently. Form the mixture into 6 equal patties to fit the rolls.
4 Brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, just until opaque throughout, about 4 minutes on each side. During the last few minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
5 To assemble the burgers, on each roll bottom, place an equal amount of lettuce, a patty, and an equal amount of the tartar sauce. Add the roll tops and serve.
BUY THIS BOOK
Excerpted from Burger Parties by James McNair and Jeffrey Starr Copyright © 2010 by James McNair and Jeffrey Starr. Excerpted by permission of Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House of Canada Limited. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.