Image: David Biesse, Eric Liddon and Angela Liddon
A versatile recipe for creating the ultimate nutty, cluster-filled granola.
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole raw almonds
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raw walnut halves or pieces
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raw buckwheat groats or gluten-free rolled oats
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) mixed dried fruit (such as cranberries, apricots, cherries, etc.)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raw pepita seeds
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) raw sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) fine-grain sea salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (90 mL) pure maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
1 Preheat the oven to 275°F (140°C). Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2 Place 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the almonds into a food processor and process for about 10 seconds, until a fine meal forms (similar in texture to sand). Transfer the almond meal to a large bowl.
3 In the food processor, combine the remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) almonds and all of the walnuts and process for about 5 seconds, until finely chopped. You'll be left with some larger pieces and some powdery meal which is what you want. Add the mixture to the bowl with the almond meal.
4 Add the oats, buckwheat groats, dried fruit, pepita seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut, cinnamon, and salt to the bowl and stir to combine.
5 Add the maple syrup, melted oil, and vanilla to the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined.
6 With a spatula, spread the granola into a 1/2-inch (1-cm) layer on the prepared baking sheet and gently press down to compact it slightly. Bake for 20 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake for 18 to 25 minutes more, or until the granola is lightly golden on the bottom and firm to the touch.
7 Cool the granola on the pan for at least 1 hour before breaking it apart into clusters.
8 Store the granola in a glass jar in the fridge for 2 to 3 weeks or freeze it for 4 to 5 weeks.
Tip: If you'd like to make a completely grain-free granola, simply replace the buckwheat groats and rolled oats with an additional 1 cup (250mL) finely chopped nuts.
Makes 6 cups.
BUY THIS BOOK
Excerpted from The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out by Angela Liddon. Recipes Copyright © 2014 Angela Liddon, Photography copyright © 2014 David Biesse, Eric Liddon and Angela Liddon. Excerpted by permission of Penguin Canada Books Inc., Toronto. All rights reserved.