Home decor idea: 30-minute makeovers
- Put dimmers on light fixtures. Softer lighting adds ambiance.
- Dress up white cabinets by replacing handles with antique or glass pulls.
- Replace standard lighting with something different. If you've got the height and ceiling space, hang a chandelier for instant drama.
- Trade in your old bath mat, shower curtain and hand towels for new ones for an instant bathroom refresher.
- Add a reading corner. All you need is a long-neck floor lamp and comfy chair to curl up in. If you have the space, add a small end table for stacking your must-reads.
- Perk up your bed with a new duvet. Opt for a neutral colour and then jazz it up with bright pillow shams.
- Add an accent wall. Choose a bold shade that complements the colour you already have and cover one wall. A royal purple goes nicely with light grey or pair chocolate brown with off-white or beige. It makes a statement and takes much less time than painting the whole room.
- Find a streamlined laundry solution. Going to the trouble of updating your bedroom can be impeded by an overflowing plastic laundry hamper. Instead, put a hook on the back of a closet door to hang a laundry bag and get it up off the floor and out of sight.Kitchen
- Repaint or reface your kitchen cabinets. It's a faster, more affordable alternative to replacing them and you still get a new, fresh look.
- If you don't use it, lose it. Take stock of the kitchen gadgets you actually use and store, toss or donate the ones you don't. We're looking at you, dust-covered bread maker.
- Out with the old. Replace tattered oven mitts, dish cloths, tea towels, etc. with new ones. It's easy to overlook the simple things, but you'll be surprised at how much difference it makes.
- Update your backsplash. Peel and stick Smart Tiles can be a quick and easy solution to upgrade a tired kitchen. Choose from countless colours and patterns, from mosaic to motif.
- Mount your TV on the wall if you can. It will save space, leaving room for a sleeker entertainment stand.
- Go for the green. If you have enough light, add plants. Not only do they work to clean the air, they instantly freshen up a room.
- Mount a floating shelf on the wall above the TV for added storage for DVDs and books.
- Jazz up your couch and loveseat. If it's in the budget, slipcovers go a long way to refresh, or simply add colourful pillows to brighten things up.
- Purge whatever you don't need or use. Old tools, empty paint cans and boxes of unidentified contents can take over your garage. Just having more space is a great way to perk up the space.
- Hooks are an organizer's best friend. Hang up anything that isn't nailed down to create floor space and create a tidy atmosphere.
- Add shelving anywhere you can. IKEA has many basic shelving units that can be painted bright colours to liven up any space. Store items in clear containers so they're easy to find.
- Paint. A coat of clean white paint can open up your space and goes a long way toward perking up an often drab part of the house.
- Find a good shoe storage solution. Nothing clutters a foyer like a mountain of shoes.
- If your foyer is narrow, add mirrors to give the illusion of space.
- Use a bench with storage as a two-in-one solution. It will help reduce clutter and also provide guests a space to sit while putting on shoes.
- A small table topped with decorative baskets can be a great way to house everyday clutter such as keys or unopened mail. Assign one basket to each family member for easy access.
- Separate your work space. If your home office is tucked into the corner of another room (bedroom or den for instance), invest in a decorative dividing screen. From lattice to bamboo to antique, there are many styles to choose from.
- Tidy up. A messy work environment can hinder productivity. Go through the piles of paper on (and in) your desk and get rid of anything that isn't relevant. The same goes for pens that don't work, junk mail and gadgets you either don't use or that have been replaced by newer models.
- Invest in a good chair. It will not only improve the look of your home office, it will make a world of difference in your comfort level and how long you can actually sit in it, doing work.
- Pretty up your home office accessories. From notebooks to pens to mouse pads, choose luxe-looking accessories in patterns and shades that pop. Display pens in glass vases and notebooks and other necessities in decorative baskets.