Recipe: Black bean quesadillas
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) each salt and pepper
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (250 ml) salsa
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cooked corn kernels
- 4 large (10-inch/25 cm) flour tortillas
- 2 cups (500 ml) shredded old Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) light sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) diced pickled jalapeno peppers (optional)
1 In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; fry onion, green pepper, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 8 minutes.
2 Add black beans, salsa and corn; cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
3 Evenly spoon bean mixture over half of each tortilla; sprinkle with cheese. Fold uncovered half over top and press lightly. Bake on greased large baking sheet in 425°F (220°C) oven, turning once, until golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Cut into wedges; serve with sour cream, and jalapenos (if using).
Makes 4 servings.
BUY THIS BOOK
Excerpted from Canadian Living: The Vegetarian Collection by Alison Kent & The Canadian Living Test Kitchen Copyright © 2010 by Alison Kent & The Canadian Living Test Kitchen. Excerpted by permission of Transcontinental, a division of Random House of Canada Limited. All rights reserved.