Recipe: Blackberry-lemon marmalade
- 8 cups blackberries, rinsed and partially crushed
- 3 lemons, seeded and chopped into pea-size chunks
- 2 packs pectin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 13 cups sugar, divided
1 Place the blackberries and lemons in a non-reactive pot with the pectin and butter, and bring to a strong boil. Add half the sugar. When the mixture shows further signs of beginning a second boil, add the remaining sugar and bring to a fierce rolling boil. Begin timing for 2 minutes and then watch for signs of jelling. Depending on the water content in the berries, jelling signs may take longer.
2 When ready, ladle into sterile jars, seal, and invert for 2 minutes only.
• This is an acid hot-pack recipe.
• pH is not an issue, so testing is not required.
• This recipe makes 14 half-pint jars; half pints are best suited for this recipe.
• This recipe can be halved but not doubled.
BUY THIS BOOK
Excerpted from Putting Up More Copyright © 2011 by Stephen Palmer Dowdney. Photography Copyright © 2011 by Rick McKee. Excerpted by permission of Raincoast Books. All rights reserved.