Recipe: Cider glazed roasted vegetables
- 1 rutabaga (2 lb/1kg), peeled and cut into 3/4 inch (2 cm) cubes
- 4 parsnips (1 lb/500 g), peeled and cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 cup (250 ml) apple cider
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter, melted
- 4 tsp (20 ml) minced fresh thyme
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- 3 leeks (white and light green parts only), cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick rounds
- 2 sweet red peppers, cut into 2 inch (5 cm) pieces
- 1 large bulb fennel, trimmed and cut into 2 inch (5 cm) pieces
- 1 head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
1 Toss together rutabaga, parsnips and half each of the cider, butter, thyme, salt and pepper. Spread in greased 13 x 9 inch (3 L) glass baking dish or small roasting pan. Cover with foil; roast in 425°F (220°C) oven for 15 minutes.
2 Meanwhile, toss together leeks, red peppers, fennel, garlic and remaining cider, butter, thyme, salt and pepper. Spread in separate same-sized greased baking dish or roasting pan; cover with foil. Add to oven; roast for 30 minutes.
3 Uncover both pans; stir vegetables. Roast, stirring occasionally, until tender, golden and almost no juices remain, about 30 minutes.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
BUY THIS BOOK
Excerpted from Canadian Living: The Vegetarian Collection by Alison Kent & The Canadian Living Test Kitchen Copyright © 2010 by Alison Kent & The Canadian Living Test Kitchen. Excerpted by permission of Transcontinental, a division of Random House of Canada Limited. All rights reserved.