Image: Maya Visnyei & Edward Pond / Food styling: Claire Stubbs / Prop styling: Ann Marie Favot & Lara McGraw
Featuring sweet corn kernels and diced cucumber, this relish deserves to be your No. 1 topping for burgers and 'dogs.
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from 4 cobs)
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup finely diced red bell pepper (about 1 pepper)
- 1 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 cup diced english cucumber (about 1 small cucumber)
- 2 finely diced jalapeño peppers
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 Bring all the ingredients to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and gently simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has absorbed and the vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat and let cool. Transfer to a dish and serve immediately on beef, salmon or tuna burgers with Boston lettuce and mayonnaise on a soft brioche bun. Relish will keep for two weeks in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Prep & cook time: 40 minutes
Makes: 4 cups