Recipe: Couscous salad with shrimp, tomato and bocconcini
For the salad
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1/2 lb frozen cooked shrimp, thawed, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 cups cherry or baby heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 lb baby bocconcini balls
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers packed in oil, plus 1/4 cup oil (reserved to use in dressing)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
For the dressing
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp pesto
- 1/4 cup reserved oil from roasted red peppers
- 2-1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
1 Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the couscous.
2 Cover, remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork and set aside to cool.
3 In a large bowl, combine the cooled couscous, shrimp, tomatoes, bocconcini, roasted red peppers and basil. Toss gently to combine.
4 Prepare the dressing by whisking together the garlic, pesto, reserved roasted red pepper oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice and lemon zest in a small bowl.
5 Drizzle the dressing over the salad, tossing gently to combine. Add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, top with the fresh basil leaves and serve immediately.
Prep and cook time: 30 minutes.