Recipe: Green mango and rice noodle lettuce cups
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) soy sauce
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) sambal olek (red chili paste)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 green (unripe) mango, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cucumber, cut into matchsticks pieces
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) very finely diced red onion
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh corinader leaves
- 2 cups (500 mL) soaked vermicelli rice noodles, well drained
- 6 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped toasted cashews
1 Whisk the vinegar with the soy sauce, sambal olek, sugar, salt, pepper and garlic. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in sesame and vegetable oils.
2 Toss the dressing with the mango, red pepper, cucumber, onion, cilantro and cooked noodles. Divide the noodle mixture evenly between the lettuce leaves. Sprinkle each serving with cashews. Makes 6 servings.
Tip: If lettuce leaves are small, cradle two leaves together to make an appropriate sized cup to hold the salad.