Recipe: Pizza diavola with buffalo mozzarella and calabrese salami
- 1 10-oz thin crust pizza dough ball, shaped into a 12" circle
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 5 slices Calabrese salami
- 1⁄4 cup sliced fire-roasted sweet peppers
- 3 oz fresh buffalo mozzarella, torn into pieces
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tsp finely chopped pepperoncini pepper
1 Preheat the oven to 500°F with a pizza stone (or heavy-duty baking sheet turned upside down) on the centre rack.
2 With the pizza dough rolled out and placed on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel, use a small palette knife to spread the tomato sauce evenly over the dough. Place the salami slices, peppers and mozzarella evenly over the sauce. Sprinkle with the Parmesan.
3 Give the pizza peel a shake to make sure the pizza isn’t sticking and slide it onto the hot stone in the oven. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the crust is blistered and golden and the cheese is melted.
4 Remove the pizza from the oven with tongs and slide it onto a cutting board. Top the hot pizza with the fresh basil leaves and pepperoncini pepper. Allow to cool for 3 minutes before slicing and serving.
Prep and cook time: 1 hour.
Makes one 12" pizza.