Add sunchokes to this tasty soup recipe.
A light and delicious soup using sunchokes (a.k.a Jerusalem artichoke), a tuber species native to eastern North America.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large leek (white part only), thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 lb sunchokes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup whipping cream or half and half chopped fresh chives or garlic scapes for garnish
1 In a large saucepan, heat the butter and oil over medium-high heat.
2 Add the onion and leek and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, until soft; add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the sunchokes, potatoes, chicken broth and water. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sunchokes are very tender, about 45 minutes.
3 Puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender, or carefully transfer in batches to a blender and purée until smooth.
4 Season with salt and pepper; stir in the cream. Serve hot, warm or chilled, topped with chives or garlic scapes and an extra drizzle of olive oil.
Serves 4 to 6