Recipe: Spiced carrot and lentil soup
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- ⅛ tsp dried chili flakes (or just a pinch if you like it mild)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cups julienned carrots
- ½ cup split red lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup evaporated milk (2% milk will also do for a less creamy soup)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the cumin and chili flakes and cook for 1 minute, watching they don’t burn. Remove 1 teaspoon of the spice mixture from the pan and set aside.
2 Add the olive oil, carrots, lentils and stock to the saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, or until the lentils and carrots are soft. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the soup to stand for 10 minutes.
3 Working in batches, purée the soup in a blender until smooth. Return the soup to the pan and add the evaporated milk; season with salt and pepper to taste.
4 Top with the reserved spices and serve.
Prep and cook time: 1 hour.