Sometimes overlooked, even forgotten, the bedroom often loses out to expansive and expensive kitchen and bath renos. Budgets depleted, energy low, we barely throw our sheets on the bed before we literally call it a night.
We think it's time to take our bedroom back to the basics, strip away the layers and start from scratch. What contributes to a great night's sleep? Our list includes a firm mattress, some crisp linens worthy of a fancy hotel, a dreamy fragrance, a soothing paint colour, and a little peace of mind in the shape of an eco-approved option or two.
The best hotel linens you can buy
- Crisp, white, 220 thread count linens will have you sweetly dreaming in high-end hotel splendour. We like: Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Bedding, $90.
- Chic and sophisticated white, 100% Egyptian cotton bedding with mocha-coloured piping adds a groovy hotel-chic vibe to your room. We like: Collection Germain Moka Bedding, $370.
- Black or ivory satin-stitch embroidered sheets add an extra touch of luxe sophistication. Purchase pieces separately to customize your look. We like: W Hotel Classic Hotel Bedding, $70.
- For a touch of Italian luxury go glam with a 100% mercerized Egyptian sateen cotton sheet set. We like: Hyatt Luxury Linens, $270 US.
- Make your bed the French auberge way, using a second flat sheet in place of a fitted sheet. We like: Auberge Saint-Antoine Linens, $34.
Relaxing room scents
- Use a cedarwood and cardamom mist to create a delicately aromatic bedroom scent. We like: Essence of Dreams Room Mist from Fruits & Passion, $7.
- Eucalyptus, rosemary and peppermint oils combine to create a soothing scent. We like: Remedies for Roll Night Time from Neal's Yard Remedies, $11.
- Sweeten your dreams by misting your pillow with calming chamomile oil and gentle jujube date extract. We like: Deep Sleep Dream Pillow & Body Mist from The Body Shop, $16.
- For a wonderful fragrance that also provides a little romantic mood lighting try a sweet lilac scented candle. We like: Slatkin & Co. Lilac Blossom Scented Candle from Bath & Body Works, $10.
- Help promote hours of restful shut-eye by adding a few drops of mandarin oil to unscented body lotion or directly onto pulse points. We like: Intelligent Nutrients Aromatics Innercalm Wind Down from Pistachio, $65.
Most restful paint colours
- A greeny-grey with bring to mind a misty morning. Add texture with cozy blankets and throw. We liek: Benjamin Moore Gray Cashmere 2138-60
- A subtle yet masculine warm grey shade is a perfect shade for an accent wall in a creamy-pale room adorned with chunky knits. We like: General Paint Secret Path DTE 018.
- A light bluw with a hint of ocean green will evoke the feel of the English seaside and looks lovely when paired with pale pink. We like: Farrow & Ball Pavillion Blue no. 252.
- The subtle touch of a light pastel purple tone creates a dreamy bedroom. Accessorize with bedlinens and drapes in deeper greys and purples. We like: Home & Country Collection by Beauti-Tone Rêve FD013.
- Walls in a warm, pale colour benefit from lush charcoal accessories. The addition of some pewter and mercury glass pieces will give extra sparkle. We like: Para Paints Soaker Tub P5223-24.
Easy ways to green your room
- Provide texture in a small room without using bold colour with a raised geometric patterned organic cotton duvet. We like: Cameron Organic Matelassé Duvet Cover from Pottery Barn, $189 US.
- A hypoallergenic, biodegradable and recyclable duvet made from Lyocell Down (a sustainable filler made from Beech trees) is the ultimate in eco-friendly bedding. We like: Raymond Waites duvet from the Bay, $550.
- Eliminate allergens with a tightly woven organic cotton cover. We like: Organic Cotton Barrier Cloth Mattress Cover from Grassroots. $465.
- Earth toned bedding is a funky and modern alternative to basic white bedding. We like: Organic Cotton Frayed-Edge Sheet Set from West Elm, $99.
- Filled with organic wool to help regulate body temperature a contoured pillow also supports your head and neck. We like: Organic Contour Pillow from Natura, $160.
Constructed in a toxin-free facility and covered in organic cotton padding for extra comfort a customizable mattress is built to suit all of your needs. We like: Organic Innerspring Mattress from Grassroots, $1,612.
A firm and adjustable mattress will ensure extra back support. Two separate air chambers and two remote controls will allow for the optimal in individual comfort. We like: Personal Preference™ EU with Sleep Number from Sleep Country Canada, $2,000.
A mattress that moulds to your body's shape will help to relieve pressure while you sleep. We like: Sealy Posturepedic Achievement Collection from Leon’s. $1,900.
Buying a hypoallergenic latex mattress will ensure no sagging. This means that you won’t ever have to flip your mattress again! We like: 100% natural latex rubber mattress from Organic O’ Canada, $1,876.
A mattress with increased support in the middle reduves pressure and the potential for a sagging centre. We like: Vera Wang Floral Bed by Serta. $1,199.