Image: Michael Nangreaves | Producer: Andrea McCrindle
Sure to lend some flair to the most mundane task, this office – inspired by fashion icon Iris Apfel – was designed on both a subdued and a daring budget. Can you tell the difference?
- Removable Banana Leaves wallpaper, $9 per sq. ft., thegoodtile.com.
- Camden mirror, $599, theartshoppe.com.
- Bianca table lamp, $435, greatlighting.com.
- MacBook Pro laptop, $2,399, apple.ca.
- Canister, $199, theartshoppe.com.
- Bianco desk, $1,399, theartshoppe.com.
- Dasha Valakhanovitch hand-painted New Geometries pot, $155, flur.ca.
- Mirror-topped Stork side table, $1,225, lacompania.ca.
- Sassi mosaic Midnight Vertex floor tiles ,$18 per 13" x 13" sheet, homedepot.ca.
- Annie Soft chair, $455, calligaris.com.
- Removable Banana Leaf Botanical wallpaper, $72 US per 27" x 96" roll, sweetpeawalldesign.etsy.com.
- Antiqued aluminum mirror, $50, homesense.ca.
- Table lamp, $270, greatlighting.com.
- MacBook laptop, $1,729, apple.ca.
- Ceramic Canister, $25, homesense.ca.
- MDF Manchester desk, $399, structube.com.
- Imatra pot, $33, structube.com.
- Iron Ostrich side table, $790, lacompania.ca.
- Vinyl Cubes floor tiles, $72 per 6 sq. ft., thegoodtile.com.
- Polyester velvet chair, $179, homesense.ca.
CREATE A ROOM LIKE THIS NO MATTER YOUR BUDGET WITH A FEW SIMPLE DESIGN TIPS:
1. Get inspired.
This head-turning office was inspired by adventurous fashionista Iris Apfel. We channelled the 97-year-old’s bright, dashingly daring wardrobe in every aspect, including the saturated palette, luxe velvet chair and quirky side table.
2. Don't shy away from pattern.
One glance at Iris demonstrates that this fashion icon does not believe there’s such a thing as clashing patterns, only unlikely print pairings. Following this sage wisdom, we’ve brought together two pattern powerhouses: graphic cubes, in the form of optical illusion floor tiles, and luscious palm leaves on the striking wallcovering. “It’s a match made in haute couture heaven,” says stylist Andrea McCrindle.
3. Opt for high-quality products.
With the release of the iMac in 1998, Apple brought aesthetics to the forefront of the computing world. So it’s no surprise that the brand remains a trend- setter, attested to by this attractive laptop trio. Though innovation comes at a cost – at the high end, the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar can run as much as $8,379 – style is always included.
Apple puts on a pretty face, but technology is at its core (no pun intended). The latest MacBook Pro with Touch Bar boasts up to 32GB of memory, improved display and faster processing.
Clockwise, from top left:
- MacBook Pro laptop in Space Grey with Touch Bar, 13", from $2,399, apple.ca.
- MacBook Air laptop, 13", from $1,199, apple.ca.
- MacBook laptop in Rose Gold, 12", from $1,729, apple.ca.
4. Balance form and function.
With a quilted-look surface, the Saint Tropez hits the sweet spot between form and function. Though the chair comes in myriad options, the mix of the honey-toned seat and golden base shines in this room. If only we’d found a Low match!
Saint Tropez 1845 chair, $500, calligaris.com.
5. Follow these desktop decorating to-dos:
- Perk up your office with a sunny fresh-cut bloom displayed in a pretty vase.
- Store pencils and pens in an unexpected vessel (this one is a flowerpot).
- Workspaces require all manner of cords. Keep them hidden but handy in a chic ceramic canister.
6. Make it pop.
This work zone’s busy palm-print wall calls for simple accompanying silhouettes. Whatever their finish, graphic metal table lamps boasting spherical shades are sure to pop against the backdrop.